Sunday, January 24, 2010

Perspective

This Times article has me thinking about the angle taken by most documentary film makers. Documentaries, while normally presented as balanced, tend to lean far to the left. Maybe I think this because I watch what interests me, and so am more likely to watch the more liberal interpretations. But righties should be out there presenting their views through this medium. The documentary as propoganda, however, a technique used by all parties, is risky. It seems to me that people don't think as hard while watching documentaries as they should. A documentary should open your eyes, challenge you, and prompt further research. Most topic can't be covered in ninety minutes or fewer. Mine definitely won't be the entire picture, nor will it have "the answers." It is up to the viewer to understand what they are watching, and to understand the issue from multiple angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment